Contact the Faculty
Meet our faculty
- Dr Anandita Singh Professor
- Dr Ramakrishnan Sitaraman Professor
- Prof Prateek Sharma Dean (Academic)
- Dr Pallavi Somvanshi Assistant Professor
- Dr Chaithanya Madhurantakam HoD and Associate Professor
- Dr Udit Soni Assistant Professor
- Dr Neeti Assistant Professor
- Dr Gaurav Assistant Professor
- Dr Shashi Bhushan Tripathi Associate Professor
- Dr Akash Sondhi Assistant Professor
The Department of Biotechnology at the TERI SAS was established to facilitate capacity building in the field of biotechnology and to address prevailing lacunae in education policies that are critical for its balanced promotion. The department focuses on inculcating scientific temper, analytical reasoning, original creative thinking and logical thought process critical for research. It promotes sensitization to issues concerning ethics, regulations and management vital to biotechnology. Through an academically rigorous and interdisciplinary environment, the department seeks to meet national requirements in basic science as well as agricultural and environmental applications. The department offers MSc, and PhD programmes in biotechnology.
The MSc. programme in Plant Biotechnology seeks to provide education and training, empower students with technical skill-set, create capacities and build career opportunities in three key domains of biotechnology namely:
- Research and development
- Science education
- Policy, regulations and management
This is achieved through a combination of interdisciplinary curricula as well as intensive laboratory work. Through its unique pedagogical methods, the academic programme allows transferability of acquired skills in domains unrelated to biotech sectors. Students are expected to have both specialized knowledge and practical experience for addressing contemporary problems in both academic and industrial setting.
The objective of the programme is to highlight the role played by biotechnology in modern society and its relevance to sustainable development. It seeks to provide the following:
- To advance education and research in Plant Biotechnology and explore sustainable solutions for agriculture, environment and energy sectors.
- Promote an understanding of interdisciplinary approaches and technologies used in the analysis of complex biological information.
- Impart rigorous hands-on training in both laboratory-based methods and bio-informatics tools for biological research.
- Sensitize students about multifaceted regulatory issues and ethical concerns related to biotechnology.
Why Study MSc. Plant Biotechnology ?
The MSc programme in Plant Biotechnology was conceptualized and initiated with seed funding from the Department of Biotechnology, India by the TERI SAS in 2008. This programme is inter-disciplinary and is designed to empower students with technical skills and generate capacities and career opportunities with an emphasis on sustainable development. The programme focuses on core subjects like molecular plant breeding, genetic engineering, genomics, plant tissue culture, proteomics and molecular and cell biology. Simultaneously, the students are also trained in applied mathematics, bioinformatics, bioethics, computational biology, intellectual property rights and statistics to enhance their skills and enable them to integrate pure science and emerging technologies successfully. The programme aims to create a pool of well-trained professionals in plant biotechnology for both academia and industry.
- A research-oriented learning that develops analytical and integrative problem-solving approaches.
- Specialized knowledge and practical training to address contemporary problems in academia and industry.
- Awareness of ethical issues and regulatory considerations while addressing societal needs for sustainability.
Skills acquired by students after completion
- Molecular biology tools and experimental strategies, theoretical understanding of OMICS approaches.
- DNA profiling and bar coding techniques, generation of transgenics, marker assisted breeding and selection, testing of hybrid purity.
- Computational skills such as modeling, simulation analysis of data
- Structural and functional characterization of biological macromolecules.
WHY STUDY AT TERI SAS ?
The programme is unique and provides intensive hands-on laboratory training to students with emphasis on multidisciplinary education through courses in computational biology, applied mathematics, intellectual property rights (IPR) and bio-ethics. The programme offered by the TERI SAS enhances job prospects of students in diverse sectors of biotechnology. The laboratories provide an intellectually stimulating research environment. The department also has its laboratories in TERI office at India Habitat Centre and TERI Gram Retreat Centre in Gual Pahari, Gurgaon.
Where will the Degree Take You?
MSc PBT students after successful completion of the course are variously placed:
- Research and Development (academic and industrial sectors)
- Bio-business companies, breweries, seed industries, pharmaceutical companies, dairies.
- Forensics and diagnostic centres
- Regulatory and funding agencies, law firms and knowledge processing offices (KPOs) for Intellectual Property (IP) management.
Infrastructure available for Biotechnology
The laboratories at the TERI SAS, parent organization TERI (www.teriin.org) provide an intellectually stimulating research environment. Following represents the infrastructure and facilities where research programmes are undertaken:
Department of Biotechnology (TERI SAS)
- Teaching laboratories: 2
- Research laboratory: 2
- Plant growth room: 1
- Plant tissue culture facilities
- Area for Biosafety level-2
- Net-house for transgenic crops (TERI Gram)
- Computer lab for bioinformatics: 1
- Laboratories at the India Habitat Centre: 1
Laboratories at TERI Gram
- Micropropagation Technology Park, Fermentation Facility
- TERI-Deakin University Nanotechnology Centre at TERI Gram
Placement Data and Statistics (2008 – 2014)
The placement data and statistics from 2008 to 2014 clearly indicate the magnitude and multitude of diverse sectors in which our students have successfully forged their careers.
Organizations where students did their internship
- ICRISAT, Mexico
- John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK
- University of Tennnessee, USA
- CIMAP, Lucknow
- NBRI, Lucknow
- IITs (Delhi, Mumbai, Kharagpur, Kanpur)
- CBI, Government of India
- National Institute of Plant and Genetic Resources, Government of India
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Delhi
- International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines
- National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai
- National Institute for Immunology, Delhi
- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad
- Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi
- Defense Research and Development Organization, Delhi
- Jawaharlal Lal Nehru University
- University of Delhi
- Delhi Technological University
- Lakshmikumaran and Sridharan Attorneys, Delhi
- Lal, Lahiri and Malhotra, Delhi
- Uttam Group of Institutions, Uttar Pradesh
- Ingenious E-Brain solutions, Gurgaon
- TERI, Delhi
- Department of Forest and Wildlife, Government of NCT, Delhi
- TERI SAS, Delhi.
Biotikos 2015 (19-20th January) “Current Techniques and Development in Bioinformatics”
The TERI SAS organizes an annual event BIOTIKOS, aimed at enlightening biotechnology students and teachers about the recent advances in this field and its applications at industrial and research level. As part of this event special guest lectures by the representatives from the academia, research, and industry along with workshops, quizzes, and poster presentations are organized so that the students are aware of baseline technologies and their applications to research and development.
As part of the course curriculum, industrial visits to renowned research centres are organized to provide students an understanding of working environments related to their subject area, encouraging experimental learning and exposing them to possible career paths. Such visits allow students to gain practical knowledge in their subjects by interacting with professionals in the field of biotechnology.
- Hemendra Kothari Fellowship 2015: Awarded to Ms Deepti Sawhney (MSc Plant Biotechnology, 2013-2015).