• Department of Natural and Applied Sciences
Area of Expertise
Climate Change Impact
Adaptation and Mitigation
Dr. Anand Madhukar is presently working with TERI SAS as Assistant Professor. He also serves as Programme Coordinator for M.Sc. (Climate Science and Policy) and Member (Board of Studies) for the Department of Natural & Applied Sciences at TERI SAS.
He received his Ph.D. in Climate Change Impact & Adaptation from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi). The topic of his Ph.D. research was "Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Crop Yield Trends and Climate variability in India". During his Ph.D., he investigated big climate/crop data to understand spatio-temporal patterns in climate trends, crop yields, and the complex relationships between the two. He also investigated adaptation strategies such as irrigation to address the negative climate impact on agriculture. His Ph.D. thesis was recommended for the "Distinction in Doctoral Research" award by the international reviewer.
Dr. Madhukar has a highly interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary educational background. He has M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering and B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from Aligarh Muslim University. He was associated with the Centre for Energy Studies at JC Bose University of Science & Technology, YMCA, Faridabad, Haryana as Guest Faculty for M.Tech. Program. He regularly writes columns and editorials in newspapers and magazines.
Before joining TERI SAS, Dr. Madhukar was working on a Department of Science & Technology (DST) funded project "Revisiting Traditional Indian Agricultural Practices against Climate Change Vulnerabilities using Machine Learning Techniques" at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi as Principal Project Scientist.
His present research aims to generate knowledge and insight on crop yield response to climate change for building sustainable norms and climate resilience in agriculture. His research investigates climate change impacts and provides strategies to address them.
1. Madhukar A*, Kumar V, Dashora K (2022) Temperature and precipitation are adversely affecting wheat yield in India. Journal of Water & Climate Change. 13(4): 1631–1656. https://doi.org/10.2166/wcc.2022.443
2. Madhukar A*, Kumar V, Dashora K (2022) Spatial analysis of temperature trends during Rabi and Kharif seasons in India. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12076-022-00304-w
3. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Spatial Analysis of Yield Trends and Impact of Temperature for Wheat Crop Across Indian Districts. International Journal of Plant Production. 15: 325–335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42106-021-00140-w
4. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Climate Trends in Temperature and Water Variables during Wheat Growing Season and Impact on Yield. Environmental Processes. 8: 1047–1072. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40710-021-00526-y
5. Madhukar A*, Dashora K, Kumar V (2021) Investigating historical climatic impacts on wheat yield in India using a statistical modeling approach. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 7: 1019–1027. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40808-020-00932-5
6. Madhukar A, Kumar V, Dashora K* (2020) Spatial and Temporal Trends in the Yields of Three Major Crops: Wheat, Rice and Maize in India. International Journal of Plant Production. 14: 187–207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42106-019-00078-0
7. Gupta D*, Madhukar A, Choudhary V (2013) Effect of functionality of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane [POSS] on the properties of sulfonated poly (ether ether ketone) [SPEEK] based hybrid nanocomposite proton exchange membranes for fuel cell applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 38(29): 12817-12829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.07.070
8. Madhukar A*, Kumar V, Dashora K. Investigating the impact of irrigation on wheat yield in India using a statistical modeling approach. Under Revision after Review.
Research Fellowship (JRF & SRF) to pursue Ph.D. at IIT Delhi.
Research Fellowship (GATE) to pursue M.Tech. at AMU.